- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped unsalted nuts, such as peanuts or pecans
- 6 small apples, such as Eve or Paula Red
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and coat with cooking spray. Coat a tablespoon measure with cooking spray.
- Combine brown sugar, agave, butter and salt in a small saucepan. Place over medium heat; as soon as the syrup startsto lightly bubble around the edges, cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute more. Add nuts and cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar is melted and the mixture darkens, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Working quickly, spoon about 1 tablespoon of caramel over each apple. Repeat, spooning another tablespoon of caramel over each apple, turning as you pour.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Insert popsicle/craft sticks into the tops. Press any stray strands of caramel back onto the apples. Let cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in wax paper at room temperature for up to 1 day.
- Equipment: Wooden popsicle/craft sticks
- Per serving: 225 calories; 6 g fat(3 g sat); 4 g fiber; 44 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 9 mcg folate; 10 mg cholesterol; 38 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 199 IU vitamin A; 7 mg vitamin C; 23 mg calcium; 0 mg iron; 54 mg sodium; 206 mg potassium
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat